Judge Frees a Sympathizer Convicted of Murdering Opponent Jorge Rugama

Abner Pineda, who shot Jorge Rugama, in La Trinidad, Estelí, was sentenced to one year, and the same sentence orders his release

Abner Pineda, a supporter of the ruling Sandinista Front, murdered Jorge Luis Rugama, 41, on July 19th in La Trinidad, Estelí, after he shouted: “Long Live a Free Nicaragua.” The assassin will now be released scot-free on order of the judge Erick Laguna.

Laguna sentenced Pineda to a year in prison for the crime of “reckless homicide” and in the same sentence ordered the suspension of the sentence and his immediate release.

“This is a sad day for the Nicaraguan justice. Once again, the Judiciary provides a ridiculous ruling,” reacted defense attorney, Evert Acevedo, of the Permanent Commission on Human Rights (CPDH). “We proved that Pineda had been the author of the crime of murder. However, today when the judge dictated the sentence, he gave him one year in prison and immediately suspended the execution of the sentence and ordered Pineda’s release.”

Rugama’s murder occurred on July 19, in La Trinidad, Estelí. According to the testimonies of the victim’s relatives, that day Abner Pineda was in a caravan of Sandinista sympathizers, traveling the streets of the town in commemoration of the 41st anniversary of the triumph of the Revolution. When passing, Jorge Rugama shouted at them: Long Live a Free Nicaragua!  Pineda then took out a gun and shot him in the neck.

Pineda is a Sandinista militant and also held a position in the La Trinidad City Hall. For this reason, the defense and Jorge Rugama’s mother believe he was “favored” by the Ortega justice.

“As Jorge Luis’s mother I don’t like what they are doing. I know that this is the fault of the judge who freed him, but I have faith in God that he is the one who is going to do justice. I know that the government needs people like him [Pineda], the murderers. The good people are the ones they punish,” said Luisa Rizo Laguna.

According to the mother, during the trial, Pineda’s witnesses assured that it was the victim who provoked them. However, Rizo assures that it is false. “Everything the witnesses said is a lie. My son did not go to where Pineda was, he came to where my son was. As a mother, I am very upset.”

In the coming days, the CPDH lawyer will appeal the sentence.



We need your support

CONFIDENCIAL invites you to join a crowdfunding campaign to replace one high-end computer for video editing and two video cameras, stolen by the National Police on May 20. You can do so by joining our Membership Program or making a donation through PayPal, a secure platform for our readers. Thank you for being part of this collective effort.


Más en English

Share via
Send this to a friend